Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Another Round of Weekend Training

Well it was an exciting weekend. A total of 156 miles on a mix of the road rocket and mountain goat. Friday afternoon was a mtb ride through Umstead forest, doing some climbing loops, which led me over to Lake Crabtree. I did a loop and a half there because I was feeling great and for some reason I was on fire through the turns. It felt like every turn was the perfect speed, you know that flowy feeling? Especially while listening to some great music. Sadly I didn't have great gps reception and the bike computer wasn't working properly, but I'm guessing between 40-45 miles for the day. It was definitely longer than my last enduro ride which was 34 miles through the same areas. Needless to say I was cramping by the end of the day because I left from classes with no sport drink.

Sunday, I left North Raleigh with some other members of Team NORSA (Mike, Alan, and Adam) to head up to Virginia on road bikes. We were headed for the small town known to locals as Virgilina. This small town straddles the state line, and beware of dogs if you try to make this trip!

Upon entering the town, we were immediately greeted by the locals at the (you guessed it) Baptist church yelping at us. Apparently they've never seen men in spandex before.

Check out the GPS track of the trip. 116 miles, 5,300ft of climbing... rather flat ride I'd say. You can view it in Google Earth following this link.

All in all it was a great trip. We were moving for a little over 7 hours, averaging about 16mph. The Cytomax I bought the day before works great! I felt fresh all day long, except I should have brought some Ibuprofen, my shoulders and back got a little sore. I'm definitely going to be using cytomax for the Cohutta! Which is this Saturday!

Anyway, check out the pictures from Sunday, the writeup on Team NORSA's blog.
Virgilina

2 comments:

Adam said...

I like the distance vs time graph from your gps data. You can see all of the flat tire stops.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.